Friday, September 16, 2011

After the Smoke clears

Well, that last post was a bit dark and angry, but sometimes that is just the way it is.

Yesterday I picked up a copy of Frances Moore Lappe's book, "Diet for a Small Planet", from the library.  A friend at the farmer's market did the illustrations for it way back when,(1971?).  The edition I picked up is the 20 year anniversary edition and includes a great introduction.  Reading it makes my rant in yesterday's post seem even more emotional and less thoughtful.  I am grateful for the timeliness of finding her words.

Earlier yesterday, a friend had expressed to me in an email that "the most powerful thing is an idea".  In FML's intro to "Diet" she states basically the same thing.  Again, I am grateful for both of their words finding me in a timely way.

In her introduction, Lappe speaks to the exact thing that challenges me.  I feel distressed by the lack of participation of the people of our country in deciding how their lives should be.  I am sure people feel a lack of ability to affect change.  I am also sure that many don't even think to try and affect change in their own life.  There are so many things that each of us has sway on in our everyday lives.  Instead of waiting for a government to pass a new law, or for a large corporation to create a new product that will give us a new way, I am desperate to hear and see each of us make our lives right, good, whole and rich.  It is possible.

None of what I write here is really that personal or hasn't been.  These are word and ideas that are out for discussion and dissection and rethinking where it applies.
Now for something personal.
I know 2 people who live lives that when described to others almost always get the same response.  The response is basically, "wow, I wish I could do that".  Both of those people live below what this countries government calls the poverty line.  Both are simple in their wants and pro active in the creation of the life each lives.  They decide how, what, and where, and often this is outside the conventional methods of our society.  Neither has a "new home" or a "new Car" or anything that is under warranty probably, but each has things that most people wish they had, things that would make you think they were pretty well off.  And each is pretty well off.  Not rich, not even moderately so by our societies standards, like I said each makes less money than is needed to consider them above the poverty level, but each is secure and happy with their lot.

I am one of those people.

Money, education, material goods, social status are not what brings happiness in my experience.
enough money, a life of continuous education, and social relations do help me to be happy.

There is more that can be said on the idea but not now, not here.  We each have our path.
Hammonasset, CT 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment