Friday, May 27, 2011

Barrel hoop #2

Barrel Hoop MicroFarm
5/25/11
82 degrees f, sunny
Today I got some corn seedlings in the ground in the uppermost terrace bed.  They are in amongst the returning sunchokes.  The soil is has some small stones in it but the top 12 inches is a very nice mix.  This corn was started from seed on May 12th, and has grown to be about 4 inch seedlings in those 13 days.  I made a stew of water and dehydrated cow manure to put on each seedling and then watered them.
This is the low tunnel that I made last fall.  Today it got up to 120f before I got the doors open to ventilate it.  I don't think any plants got cooked.  This low tunnel is made from some scrap wood, on the ends and the middle framing is a steel tube from an instant garage that belonged to my neighbor.  A tree came down on it when his truck was in it and I helped him get it out.  The truck was protected by the frame and did not suffer.  I got to keep the tree for fire wood and the frame for this purpose.  The plastic is light weight and last about a season and a half before it starts to fall apart from UV rays.  I will take the plastic off after Memorial day and leave the frame in place for next winter.  I will consider buying covering plastic that is available for this purpose.  I think it would last longer.  Less waste.  Next to the low tunnel is a ground row cover with squash and potatoes underneath.  Behind that, above the rock wall is the asparagus/strawberry rows.

5/26/11
85f sunny with passing clouds, HUMID!
Today only got a few plants in.  In the terraces I put in about 7 Dondo squash amongst the sweet potato plants.  They are all under a ground cover which I hope will help to prevent the root borers from putting their young in the dirt.

The Terrace garden
Last year I put a chicken wire fence around the main plot.  It not only helped to keep the critters at bay but kind of made it look a bit nicer to us.  In the picture below two firewood cribs can be seen and behind the truck is the 30x12x 15h boat barn built from recycled materials.

Main Plot 50x15 fenced

Wineberry grows wild here and could take over everywhere.  We do have a blueberry and a rasberry on this hill as well.  Now that they are leafed they hide the low tunnel that is behind them.
Wineberry Hill
I think this weekend will be the right time to get the chiminea out and next to the bench for some evening cooking!

No comments:

Post a Comment